About Hero Birth Services
Every family deserves caring, open-minded support on the life-changing journey of welcoming a new baby.
Joyfully serving families with diverse backgrounds and needs since 2014, we offer individualized prenatal education, continuous labor support during birth, and in-home care and education after your baby arrives.
In addition to the services we offer here, we are also part of Your Birth Team. We're so glad to be able to work with other Birthing From Within mentors and doulas to provide well-rounded care to families in Orange County and Long Beach.
Get to Know Marlee & Megan
Growing up, I adored helping my mom care for my three younger siblings and loved to do housework, cook, and organize activities for not only our family, but all the other families on our block (hello, recreating Disneyland in the front yard). I had a magical childhood that still inspires me today.
Since my childhood, my family has been through difficulty and grief we never expected, and out of those experiences I have developed a passion for supporting women and families.
Caring for others and seeing them thrive is one of my greatest joys, and when I learned about the work of birth and postpartum doulas, I was hooked then and there! I love walking with families through those raw, early, new baby days; providing support to families through the vulnerable and challenging experiences of birth and new parenthood means so much to me.
In addition to birth work, I am a childcare provider. And someday I want to own a bed and breakfast / Montessori school / laundromat-thrift shop-cafe / apparel-accessories-housewares shop / restaurant / tea room...
Work with Marlee:
I am a serious planner. I like to know what's coming next and how I can prepare for it in pretty much every area of my life. Long-term planning for Marlee and I to have little ones of our own someday is actually how I got hooked on the idea of working with families during the transformational time of pregnancy, birth, and early parenthood.
Through this work, I have discovered that many parents-to-be are thirsty for realistic preparation for the life-changing experiences of the childbearing year. It is a privilege to share what I have learned (and am learning) about birth as a rite of passage, and to support parents through compassionate mentoring as they make the transition into parenthood.
When I'm not with a client or reading up on the latest pregnancy, birth, and parenting research, you can find me at my day job working for a local non-profit arts organization or spending time with Marlee and our beautiful rescue spaniel.
Work with Megan:
- In addition to birth work, Marlee is an artist and Megan is a professional choral singer
- We both identify as multipotentialites (people who have multiple passions in life) and love meeting others who share that identity!
- We accidentally rescued a pregnant cocker spaniel who had a home birth on our couch! (And yes, we kept one of the puppies.)
- Our favorite TV shows are Friends, The Office, Parks & Rec, and New Girl
- We love going to museums
- We both raised chickens growing up
- We love to travel, but so far our only international destination has been the UK (we've visited England three times)
Check out our VoyageLA article to learn more about us!
As Advanced Birthing From Within mentors, our work is informed by the organization's mission and guiding principles. To learn more about our approach to birth work, see our blog post: The 3 Most Important Aspects of Our Approach as Doulas.
- Advanced Birthing From Within Retreat (Virginia Bobro)
- Birth Story Listening Course (Pam England and Nikki Shaheed)
- The Golden Kintsugi Process (Pam England and Nikki Shaheed)
- Evidence Based Birth Seminar: Newborn Procedures (Amanda Cagle)
- Evidence Based Birth Seminar: Due Dates and Advanced Maternal Age (Amanda Cagle)
- Working with Diverse Populations in Maternal and Child Health (Shafia M. Monroe)
- Evidence Based Birth Seminar: How to Help Families Get Evidence Based Care (Amanda Cagle)
- Supporting Plus Size Birth Workshop (Jen McLellan)
- Rebozo Techniques & The Poetry of Birth Workshop (Naolí Vinaver, CPM)
- Spinning Babies Workshop (Nicole Morales, CPM)
- Introduction to Birthing from Within Mentor and Doula Workshop (Virginia Bobro)
- Postnatal Rejuvenation Class (Whitney Sippl)
- Return to Zero Training: Fetal Demise (Kiley Hanish & Ivy Margulies)
- Advanced Birthing From Within Mentors & Doulas
- Trained by Childbirth International (Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Education, and Breastfeeding Counselor)
- Trained by Madriella Doula Network (Birth Doula)
- Certified Birth and Bereavement Doulas (stillbirthday)
- Members of the Childbirth and Postpartum Professionals Association (CAPPA)
- Adult and infant CPR/first aid certified
What's up with the quote in your footer?
Good eye. In case you missed it, we've included the following quote on the bottom of this website:
“The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world more habitable and humane.”
— David W. Orr
This quote resonates with us, and many others (you may even have seen floating around the internet misattributed to the Dalai Lama). We agree that the generally accepted definition of success often overshadows living itself, and often doesn't take into account the idea of community. When people reach out in compassion and strength to walk alongside one another, wonderful things happen.
We approach our work with families as a small step toward "making the world more habitable and humane."